Today marks the final day of the 5th Grade class trip to the Frost Valley YMCA in Claryvile, NY, just two hours away from NYC in the Catskill Mountains. This annual adventure for the graduating class is being led this year by staff members Michael, Nick, Parija, and Sara. Here are some photos of their departure on Wednesday.
Photos courtesy of Wendy Chapman.
Jenny and Laura joined the parents in waving goodbye.
Please join us for the year’s first PTA meeting, at 6PM tonight in the Community Room of Independent Plaza North. (If you have never been there before, go to the end of the plaza opposite the school, down the stairs and you will be there.) Bring a dish, have a glass or three of wine, and meet the PTA Executive Board, parent representatives on the School Leadership Team, and heads of committees including the Spring Auction, Taste of Tribeca, WHAM, and the Arts Festival. Each group will give a brief introduction and then they will break off into individual tables for more specific discussions with interested parents. We are looking for your ideas, interest, and support!
If you signed up for childcare, bring your children to school at 6PM, where they will enjoy a pizza dinner and movie.
Hope to see you later!
Curriculum Morning has become Curriculum Evening. Unlike previous years, PS 150 parents’ first meetings with their children’s teachers will take place after hours, from 5PM-8PM on Thursday, Sept. 11. Come right at the beginning for a welcoming reception (including light refreshments) in the Lobby, and then proceed to your child’s regular classroom, or to sessions on Art, Science, and Music/PE. In addition, there will be special sessions offering Tips on Supporting Your Struggling Child, and for parents of Fifth Graders, on the Frost Valley trip and middle school application process.
Teachers and staff will be offering the same discussion in each of the three time slots (5:45-6:25, 6:30-7:10, and 7:15-7:55), to accommodate those who will arrive late or have multiple children at school. Pre-registration is not required.
The full schedule and classroom listings can be found here.
We heralded the start of a new school year with two PS 150 traditions: the Welcome Breakfast for parents on the plaza, generously sponsored by Zucker’s Bagels; and the Watermelon Social in Washington Market Park, for our Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten classes. Both events were sunny and informal, perfect for catching up with old friends and getting to know new ones.
The watermelon cutters went a little overboard, so leftovers were brought to the plaza, where they were descended upon by a swarm of vultures, ravenous after their first full day of school.
Photos courtesy of Wendy Chapman.
We hope you have all had a great summer and are looking forward to a new year at PS 150! With just a few days left before the first day of school, we wanted to remind you of upcoming events and important features here and on the PS 150 web site:
- The 2014 Summer Mailing is online and includes letters from Principal Jenny Bonnet and individual classroom teachers, supply lists, and PTA notices.
- We have a new PTA Executive Board and School Leadership Team.
- Our calendar is up-to-date and includes dates of school events, PTA and SLT meetings, holidays and closures.
- Two special events will be happening on the first day of school, Thursday, Sept. 4. After drop-off at 8:40AM, there will be a Welcome Breakfast on the plaza sponsored by Zucker’s Bagels. Please stop by and meet fellow parents, your PTA Executive Board, and school administration staff. Later, at 1PM, there will be a Watermelon Social at the gazebo in Washington Market Park for the Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten classes and their parents and caregivers.
- Curriculum Night is on Thursday, Sept 11 from 5-8PM. More details to follow.
- The first PTA meeting and potluck dinner of the year will take place on Tuesday, Sept. 16 from 6-7:30PM in the Community Room at Independence Plaza North. Childcare for children ages 4 and up will be available.
- New parents who would like to connect with existing ones, and returning parents interested in partnering with new families: please sign up to join the PS 150 Buddy List.
Here at Heard on the Steps, we will be putting up a section with answers to basic questions such as, “What do I do when my child is late for school?” If you have a question, e-mail us and we will post an answer.
Best of luck on the first day!