Parent Alison Yi has kindly sent photos of last month’s Music Salon, which by all accounts was a very special evening (and successful PTA fundraiser!) showcasing the talents of four PS 150 parents who are acclaimed professional musicians. Anaïs Alexandra Tekerian is a vocalist specializing in Armenian folk music and member of Zulal, an a cappella trio that has performed at major venues around the country. Marilyn Nonken is a concert pianist and the Director of Piano Studies at NYU. Pawel Knapik is a double bassist and composer, and member of the Orchestra of St. Luke’s. Paul Shapiro is a jazz saxophonist, composer, and bandleader, whose roots also extend to R&B, hip hop, and klezmer.
Please have a look at Alison’s photo gallery, and here is the program from the Salon:
- Anais Alexandra Tekerian: Armenian folk songs
- Marilyn Nonken: Two Debussy Preludes
- Pawel Knapik and Marilyn Nonken: Humoresque for Double Bass and Piano by Pawel Knapik
- Pawel Knapik and violinist Emily Stewart: From Opus 39, Suite for Violin and Double Bass by Reinhold Glière
- Pawel Knapik and Paul Shapiro: Benny’s Gig by Morton Gould; From 8 Duos for Bb Clarinet and Double Bass Celebrating Benny Goodman’s 1962 Russian Tour
- Paul Shapiro: Bahm Bah by Paul Shapiro
Thank you to Alison for the photos; to Alexandra, Marilyn, Pawel, Emily, and Paul for their wonderful performances; and to parents Daniel Meltzer and Margrit Wiesendanger for hosting the event in their home for the second consecutive year!